“One of the leading worldwide incubators for new, cutting-edge art. Though the festival has an international outlook and reputation, it also showcases Manchester stories and talent.”
New York Times, June 2017
The sixth Festival was our biggest to date, 18 extraordinary days of performances and exhibitions presented in landmark locations, hidden spaces and a host of unique venues across Greater Manchester.
Our first festival under new artistic director John McGrath included over 380 performances of 32 commissions and special events, and recorded an economic impact of £40.2 million!
These are just some of the ways MIF17 was exceptional:
- MIF17 was a truly global Festival, featuring artists from more than 15 countries, including China, Pakistan, Egypt, Iceland, United States, France and Germany
- Involvement in MIF productions by local people increased three-fold
- More MIF shows than ever are now off on tour around the world – from Vienna to Sydney, from Lahore to Hong Kong
- An increase in free shows took visitor numbers to a record high of over 300,000
- We engaged more than a million viewers around the world, including a groundbreaking collaboration with the MIF Live and online platform
- Factory Trailblazers Returning to Reims & Available Light signposted the international flavour of our exceptional new arts space, due to open in 2020
- Five star reviews secured for many MIF shows – ranging from blockbusters such as True Faith, to surprise gems like The Welcoming Party
- Involvement by emerging Manchester artists hugely increased through initiatives such as Jerwood Fellows and Creative50
John McGrath, Artistic Director and CEO of MIF said of this year’s festival,
“It’s been fantastic to gather up the evaluations and the responses from the wonderful artists who were part of MIF17. Everyone has spoken of how special Manchester felt – the welcome they were given by the MIF team and our partner venues, and also by the people of the city.
MIF is unique: a Festival where not only is most of the work a world premiere, but also much of the work could only have been born in our great city of invention.”
We hope that everyone who was involved in or attended MIF17 had a fantastic experience.
Save the Date – the next edition of the Festival will take place 4 – 21 July 2019!