Thu 11 July -
Sat 20 July
Click 'Book Now' button for full schedule webBreak webBreak REL Thur 18 July, 2.30pm webBreak CAP Thur 18 July, 7.30pm webBreak BSL Fri 19 July, 7.30pm webBreak AD Sat 20 July, 2.30pm
1 hour 45min (no interval)
Royal Exchange Theatre webBreak St Ann's Square, M2 7DH
May contain strong language
£10 Greater Manchester residents on lower wage Register here
Previews (Thur 11 - Sat 13 July): £13, £20, £28, £33 webBreak Mon-Thur: £18, £25, £33, £38 webBreak Fri, Sat Eve & Weekend matinees: £19, £27, £36, £41 webBreak Concessions £5 off webBreak £2 transaction fee per order (no per ticket fee)
Where does true inspiration come from?
Composer Philip Glass and performer-director Phelim McDermott (Improbable) have worked together on acclaimed opera productions in London, New York and beyond, and Tao of Glass is their most personal collaboration yet. Inspired by a dream, this
world premiere marries ten meditations on life, death and Taoist wisdom with ten brand new pieces of music from Glass, presented by McDermott with an ensemble of musicians and puppeteers.
Part-concert, part-performance, Tao of Glass is a storytelling tapestry, soundtracked by Glass’s mesmerising music and shot through with Improbable’s trademark theatricality.
Philip Glass – Composer
Phelim McDermott – Writer, Performer & Co-Director
Kirsty Housley – Co Director
Fly Davis – Designer
Colin Grenfell – Lighting Designer
Giles Thomas – Sound Designer
Ragnar Freidank – Documentary Maker & Collaborator
Commissioned by Manchester International Festival, Improbable, Perth Festival, Ruhrfestspiele Recklinghausen and Carolina Performing Arts – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Produced by Manchester International Festival, Improbable and the Royal Exchange Theatre.
Photo: Christian Sturn
- This event takes place at the Royal Exchange Theatre, the country’s largest theatre in the round, set inside a Grade II listed building in the heart of Manchester city centre.
- The Royal Exchange is located in St Ann’s Square, approximately five minutes from Exchange Square Metrolink and ten minutes from St Peter’s Square Metrolink. The Theatre is around ten minutes from Manchester Victoria railway station.
- There is a car / taxi drop-off point on Cross Street and Market Street (this is a loading bay and cannot be used for parking).
- There are over 3000 car parking spaces within a ten minute walk from the theatre.
- The main entrance from St Ann’s square is accessed via a spacious glass lift. There are also steps up to the St Ann’s square entrance and the Cross St entrance – these have railings on both sides. The entrance doors are automatic.
- There is step-free, flat floor access to the whole venue at stage level. There is wooden flooring throughout the public areas.
- There are accessible toilets located close to the Cross Street entrance – these include an alarm system and mirror.
- There is an infra-red hearing enhancement system available in the auditorium. This can be used via a receiver (in conjunction with a hearing aid), or via an in-the-ear headset. These can be booked through the Royal Exchange Box Office (0161 833 9833 / email@example.com). Front of House staff can help you if you need any assistance with this equipment.